Several handfuls of rose petals
500ml Vodka (could be replaced with gin or maybe even white rum)
2tsp Caster sugar
500ml kilner jar
Muslin cloth or cleanly tea towel
(a funnel would be helpful)
- Set your oven to 150°c.
- Sip a beverage of your choice and wait for the oven to get up to temperature.
- Wash your kilner jar in soapy water and put straight into the oven for 15 mins.
- Sip a beverage of choice and wait for your jar to cool.
- Fill the 500 ml kilner jar to the brim with petals, packing them down as you go.
- Sprinkle over the sugar.
- Pour over the vodka.
- Inhale and smile with satisfaction.
- Shut the lid. Check the lid is definitely shut (seriously). Shake.
- Leave the jar in a darkened cupboard for 24 hours.
- Repeat stages 1-4 with your glass bottle.
- Strain the vodka through the muslin into your bottle
- Drink with relish.
For notes on the flavour check out my tasting notes on DIY booze
The colour and variety of your roses really doesn’t matter. The question is, are they sniffable? The stronger the smell of your blooms, the stronger the taste. Also, and this should go without saying, avoid that weird variety of massive roses that smell of urine. Why people persist in planting those things is a mystery to me
The stronger the alcohol, the more flavour you will extract from the flowers, so pick something high proof. In terms of quality as rose is a subtle flavour it is worth splashing out on a decent base spirit, or you will end up with lightly perfumed paint stripper.
Featured Image: A rose by any other name. Courtesy of my garden.